Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homemade Pimento Cheese

Pimento Cheese is my mom's specialty. At the beach, I not only partook but observed and attempted her technique. This will soon be a staple you'll want to add to your recipe book! It's easy peasy and oh so delish.

All you need is 3 ingredients:

-Sharp Chedar Cheese (the sharper the better-FYI-this particular block is the best deal Costco has going-4.99 and it's ginormous. As long as you're willing to shred it, it's WAY cheaper than the grocery store and definitely worth a special trip to Costco)

-Pimentos or Red Pepper-the more the better. I never knew but pimentos and red peppers are basically the same thing! These types are PERFECT for pimento cheese. My mom actually got the jar on the left at the dollar store and they are great. I got the jar on the right at Costco and they are wonderful b/c they have a roasted/smokyish flavor...another great deal of Costco's...4.99 and it has TONS of whole red peppers in it.

-Mayonnaise


Put 2 cups of cheese, one to two cut up peppers (if you use jar kind), and 2 1/2 tablespoons of mayonnaise for starters (you can add more or less depending on how you like it) in a blender or food processor and blend it on up until it's a thick, smoothish texture. WONDERFUL served on Italian Bread!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I can attest to this recipe. It is DELICIOUS! So good on bread with a nice slice of tomato on it:) I will add this to my recipes for sure!