Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ham and Cheese Muffins



Now that school has started, my goal for this year is to make a hot breakfast for my children at least 3 out of the 5 school mornings. I've been looking at different recipes this week, trying to get many options and I came across this one in this month's Family Fun magazine. I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand, so we whipped up a batch and they are pretty yummy! These would be perfect for on-the-go. They are not a sweet muffin...kind of a cornbread muffin with ham and cheese. We liked them, though! I think next time, I will add a little bit more of the cheese.


Ham and Cheese Morning Muffins

1 1/4 Cups unbleached flour

3/4 Cups Fine Yellow Cornmeal

1/4 Cup Sugar (I used Splenda and it worked fine)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 Cup Milk

2 large eggs

1/3 Cup corn oil (I used Canola, and again, it was fine)

1 Cup finely Diced Ham

1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1/4 Cup finely chopped chives or scallions (I omitted this)


*Heat oven to 375. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line the wells with paper liners.

*In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and oil, then pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Fold in the ham, cheese and chives or scallions.

*Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake the muffins until their tops are lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let them cool in the pan on a wire rack for 3 minutes, then turn them out onto the rack and let them cool completely. The muffins can be frozen in a plastic freezer bag up to three months.

No comments: