Friday, February 4, 2011

Italian Sausage Soup

I made this last night and it was a hit. The next time I make it, I will use a hot sausage. I also left out one of the cans of kidney beans since my hubby and daughter are not fans. I served this up with some homemade cornbread (recipe on this site, too--the BEST in the world!!). YUM!

1 (16 oz) package sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup minced celery
1 cup minced carrot
3 (14 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
1 (16 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (16 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained
1 (15.5 oz) can great Northern beans, drained
2 cups macaroni
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

*In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrot over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and crumbles. Drain well. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and beans; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add pasta; simmer 8-10 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Stir in salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

-taken from Paula Deen's Jan/Feb 2009 magazine.

2 comments:

sara said...

I made this last night for dinner and it was great. Today for leftovers it is even better! Thanks for posting it!

kristin said...

We love this soup, too! We make it every winter (well, since discovering it in Paula's mag). I do add an extra can of beef broth after the first day; otherwise I think the noodles absorb all the juice and it's like a casserole.