Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Divan

I initially made this for a fix and freeze but was worried the broccoli would get soggy upon de-thawing so I sent it unfrozen as the first dish to eat (FNF rule breaker, I am). I'm a "sauce" girl and I LOVE the sauce in this dish so much I could drink it. It is a Paula Deen recipe but I've tweaked a few things which I'll noted in parentheses/italics and I think they're pretty necessary otherwise it'll err on the blander side of the tastebud spectrum.

2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli, chopped
6 cups shredded chicken, cooked
2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise (I used cream cheese)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar (or more~thecheesier, the better)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder (I double)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used white cooking wine and added an extra 1/4-1/2 cup)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (maybe a bit more)
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the outer wrappers from the boxes of broccoli. Open 1 end of each box. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, until thawed. Drain the broccoli and put into a casserole dish. Add the shredded chicken. (I cut the broccoli into smaller pieces to make a little more kid friendly and make sure the chicken and broccoli are good and mixed).

In a medium bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise (cream cheese), sour cream, Cheddar (I didn't mix this in sauce but used later), lemon juice, curry powder (again~trust me! DOUBLE!), salt and pepper, to taste, and wine (also trust me~DOUBLE!). Whisk together to make a sauce. Pour the sauce over the broccoli and chicken. Mix well with a spatula.
Place the mixture into an 11 by 7-inch casserole dish or 2 (9-inch) square disposable aluminum foil pans that have been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula. (This is where I topped it with cheddar cheese). Combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the top. (I then sprinkled with a bit of paprika).

Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Dolly said...

YUMMY! I'm going to make it this week. Can't wait to try it.